That's probably it, then.

When you make a connection to an inetd controlled service, it tries
to verify the name of the system against the incoming IP.  It does
this by consulting a running named, either on the local system, or on
someplace remote.  The time out on that lookup can be fairly
long...and part of that process includes named (BIND) checking the
hosts file.  I don't believe that the lookups against /etc/hosts will
happen without a running name server, somewhere...usually the local
system.