i got the same problem with rh 6.1 and bind 8.2.x
i should have had to sniff the network to get sure about, but i thought of
DoS attacks
i moved to rh 7 with bind 9.1 and it works fine now
you'd check your level of bind and known vulnerabilities

A 17:34 16/03/2001 +1000, vous avez écrit :
>I have a RH6.2, standard kernel, running a dial up ppp.  It
>is setup as a caching name server only and configured to
>look at a specific primary & secondary name servers.
>
>Irregularly, twice this week, sendmail stops sending mail.
>On diagnosis of the problem, even though named is "running"
>it is not working.
>
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/named restart solves the problem.
>
>What may cause named to stop working while still running?
>Can I diagnose this problem any further with some other
>tools/commands.
>
>--
>Ken Cole
>Satisfaction Software
>e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Voice: +61 7 3268 4722
>Facsimile: +61 7 3268 4359
>Mobile: 0418 792 349

Mes idees n'engagent que moi (vieux proverbe du Net)

Thierry ITTY
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                FRANCE