On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Mitchell K. Smith wrote:

> I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> I have a RH Linux 7.0 server running Gnome. I would like to be able to
> Remotely control the Linux system from Windows 2000. I suppose this means
> running an X session on the Windows system. Similar to the way pcAnywhere
> functions although I don't need exclusive control of the desktop. Can
> someone tell me where to begin?
>
> Thanks.

You may want to check out VNC.  I don't have the URL handy, but a search
on google should find it for you.  Basicly, you run the server on your
Linux system, and the viewer on the system you want to controll it from.
There are viewers for Windows, and UNIX, as well as one written in Java.

Another option, depending on the level of control you need would be to
run Webadmin on yout Linux box.  It lets you do most adminastrative
tasks using a web browser.  (Check Freshmeat.)

If you are comfprtable with the command line interface, you can install
openssh on your server, and use PUtty to connect from Windows.

Mikkel