You must be root (or the user sendmaild runs as) to stop the process.

Killing it via the PID is not the preferred way to do this.

"/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop" is preferred, but, again, you must have
sufficient privilge to do so (i.e., root or the UID sendmaild runs under).

Good luck!

Jacob

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> I am trying to kill the sendmail using the PID, but it just won't go away.
> It doesn't give an error when using the kill command. But when checking it
> is still running. I tried also sendmail stop but then I get a message saying
> invalid user. Is there any other way to stop sendmail?

Jacob Killian
PGTC System Administrator

<mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<http://www.pgtc.net>