I had a server with one network card it in configured and running on the
internet with a single set IP address (no dhcp, etc).  I wanted to add
another network card into the machine so I could have one for backups and
not have to worry about metering the backup traffic.  So bought a 3Com 905
card and popped it in and rebooted.  Red Hat 6.2 saw it and asked me to
install it so I did.  I gave it the IP address 192.168.0.4.  I left the
rest of the settings as defaults.

I then rebooted the system to find that my live network (not the back end
one) was completely dead.  My 2 network cards initialized fine, and
ifconfig shows them correctly with the correct IP addresses, etc, but if I
try to ping another machine, nothing happens.

I played around some more to find out that if I ping another machine,
ifconfig will show the packets leaving and coming back to the machine, but
I get 100% packet loss.  If I ping 127.0.0.1 it pings okay.  If I ping the
IP address of the box (live IP), it has 100% packet loss, and if I ping
127.0.0.4 I get 100% packet loss.

My guess is that it is a routing problem.  Anybody help?  Is there anything
I should have to do when I add second network cards into the machines?

Also, I want this back end network just for tape backups.  When the network
config asks for a default gateway can I leave that blank?

Thanks in advance for help!  I need to get this machine back up ASAP!

Wes