Hi Tim,

> Has anyone gotten the changing resolution via ctrl - alt - +/- to work on
> a laptop?

 This depends on your hardware, but yes, this is possible, although not using
the default resolution on an LCD/TFT display usually results in a distorted
picture. You need multiple modes in the appropriate display section of
/etc/X11/XF86Config to be able to switch.

> If so is there a configuration file somewhere I can define which keys will
> change resolution?

 Not that I am aware of, but try man XF86Config.

> This is mostly for wine to work where so many things require 640x480

 Will these programs not work with a higher resolution? Or is your default
resolution lower than 640x480?

                                        Bye,

                                        Leonard.