On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:22:43 Brian Wright wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I have the following printing situation that needs to be resolved:
>
>My client has a Red Hat 7 Linux server in his office that has two network
>cards.  One is in the demilitarized zone, the other goes into a Netgear
>firewall.  All the Windows based workstations are behind the Netgear
>firewall.  One of the Windows workstations has an HP DeskJet printer
>shared out, and the Linux server has a Samba share going to it.
>
>We have a Windows laptop that needs to do remote printing via a PPP
>dial-up connection.  What I need to do is have the Windows laptop print to
>the Linux server and then have the Linux server forward the print job to
>the Samba share.  I've scoured the net for possible solutions, but haven't
>found anything. How would I setup the laptop to print to the remote
>server, and then have the Linux server to forward the print job to the
>samba share?

Add the IP address of the Linux box to the \Windows\lmhosts file on the
laptop.

The problem with this is that it allows printer connections from an
untrusted network. You can have Samba use "security = user" and "encrypt
passwords = yes" to get some protection. You can also use "hosts allow =
network/netmask" to restrict connections to your own network and that of the
ISP your laptop users will use.

--
Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D