hi Mikkel,

Thanks...
even, I changed the following line in /etc/passwd file,

gary:x:500:0:Gary Tay:/home/gary:/bin/bash
but I still can't run some program that root can run, for eg. linuxconf
or tail /var/log/maillog.... it will prompt me as permission denied...

so, I followed yrs steps to change it as
gary:x:0:0:Gary Tay:/home/gary:/bin/bash

once I change it, I can't telnet in with this account, even I did update
the account password, but still login failed.... then changed the
following in /etc/group

from "gary:x:500:root" to "gary:x:0:root"

but still the same??? anything else that I need to change in order to
give the root permission to user without doing "su -" and how can I give
certain root's permission to user? like user1 can do normal admin work
but can't reboot /shutdown server... so called admin work distribution...

Thanks for all advise....

rdgs,
gary