On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Mike Burger wrote:

> You really need to use it with a graphical browser.

Not really!   If you HAVE a graphical browser because you are running
X Windows (run level 5), of course, use Netscrape - yes, it's a bit
easier.  However, I don't run X on servers or routers.  lynx is there.
Also, no harm in using it to just test if you can get access.

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, doug piper wrote:
>
> > I have been following the threads on  webmin and it sounds great but I
> > am at a loss as to how to run the thing. I have installed it but cannot
> > access it. It says to login as root to http://localhost.local
> > domaine:10000/. I tried it using lynx but get no satisfaction.

If you are on the box you want to web(ad)min, then you can use a special
IP name and/or address to access network services on that box:

Look in /etc/hosts and you will see what is most likely the first line:

127.0.0.1       localhost       (and possibly localhost.localdomain)

The URL,  http://localhost:10000   is translated (somewhere by a DNS
server) to: http://127.0.0.1:10000 (port 10000 instead of the default
http port of 80).    127.0.0.1 is an address that is like a black hole
to the rest of the network.  It is a LOCAL TO THE MACHINE address, thus
the convention of the name:  localhost.  It is possible that
localhost.localdomain is not an entry in /etc/hosts, but (unless you've
somehow edited it out) there will be an entry for localhost in /etc/hosts.
You could also say:   lynx http://127.0.0.1:10000

Also, you could go to another machine on the same LAN and access with
a web browser the webmin service on the other machine, using eth0's IP
address or hostname (e.g:  http://192.168.1.21:10000 if the machine to
be administered has an IP number of 192.168.1.21).