Howdy,

I have done this on SuSE several times so I know it can be done. The situation is this:

When I first installed I accidently put both hard drives on the secondary IDE chain.
i.e.
/dev/hdc ( /boot ) and /dev/hdd ( / )

I need to put them In their proper place on /dev/hda and /dev/hdb now. I edited etc
fstab, halted and moved the drives. I forgot to run lilo. That's ok, because I was
able to boot the system with "linux root=/dev/hdb2" at the LILO prompt. I booted,
changed

        "boot=/dev/hdc"
        "boot=/dev/hda"

in /etc/lilo.conf ran /sbin/lilo and rebooted and I'm still getting a kernel panic,
unable to mount root FS message upon booting.

What didn't I do to make lilo know that it needs to use /dev/hdb1 as "/" and /dev/hda1
as /boot ? There is one thing: in lilo.conf there's a line "install=/boot/boot.b". I
have no idea what that line means or is causing - could that be the problem?

As I said, I think it's a lilo config problem because everything's ok if I give LILO
the root=/dev/hdb1 argument.

TIA

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator