Thornton Prime wrote:

> > 2.) If I am logged on NT machine as "administrator", I get not only the
> > stuff under /home/<user> directory, but 'hidden' stuff as well
> > (directories and files beginning with a dot, like .enlightenment or
> > .gnome etc.). As long as I know, only the root in Linux has access to
> > these 'system' files and directories per default (I am not an expert). I
> > wonder if it might be a security issue?
> >
> Samba normally marks dot files as 'hidden'. The desktop user then decides
> whether or not to show or hide the files based on the old DOS hidden flag
> or on the file extension.

Yep, I have also forgotten a feature of GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.42
that looks to marked dot files as 'hidden' within my <user> account (or
maybe I myself configured it like that, who knows), but did not marked
them as 'hidden' under my root account. I was thinking it was normal
status. The same goes for my NT box, where Windows NT Explorer also
showed all files under "administrator" account, but under <user>
account, some files were as 'hidden'. I just didn't check settings for
various users.

> Samba also has the ability to alias a Samba login to a different Linux
> user. It sounds like you have aliasing going on here that has been
> explicitly set, but I'm a little confused how from your examples.

I am not a Samba expert, so not sure what do you mean by 'aliasing' of
Samba logins. The only thing I know is that I have made different
accounts for a <user> for NT box, for simple telnet to Linux box from NT
computer, and for login to Samba share from NT's Win.Explorer. I did
that intentionaly to ensure that there was no account who might possibly
'transfer' some additional user rights to another account.

> In all, it looks like your Samba is working well within the configurable
> parameters? Or am I missing something?
>
> thornton

Thornton, it is ok. Tnx for advice.

Misko