(Sorry, accidentally hit Send earlier.)

Are you on a LAN of other Linux machines?  If so, are you running NFS?
On our Linux LAN of 6.1 and 7.0 machines, if the NFS daemon dies on a
machine, any machine which is trying to NFS mount volumes from that
machine will hang sometimes.  For your 7.0 machines, check if nfs,
xinetd, and portmap in /etc/rc.d/init.d are running on all your
machines.  Good luck,