On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:

:  Have you done a filesystem check?

        Well, I did one when I first noticed the drop in space a while
back and it didn't come up with anything.  However, I just did one again
after bringing the server down, low and behold, a ton of errors came up
this time.

        Okay, so those are now fixed, however, drive errors don't explain
how every monday, at the same time, like clockwork, that amount of space
would just magically be reclaimed.  Like I first pointed out, my logrotate
runs at 4am, and that runs with no problems or errors.  I just went
through several weeks of old logs and they're all okay.  And I've once
again scanned every single crontask and at task running, and there's none
that runs at that specific time.

        So, drive errors can be one cause, but what's the explanation for
the timely fashion in which it happens?  It's roughly the same exact
amount of ghost data, every monday, around 9:45 in the morning.

        And yes, before you ask, I did check for hacked programs, and/or a
breakin.  And unless several utilities are lying to me, I'm pretty sure
that's not the problem.

        AMK4

--
W | Unix -is- user  friendly.   It's  just very selective about who its
  | friends are.  And sometimes even best friends have fights.
  Ashley M. Kirchner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          .   303.442.6410 x130
  SysAdmin / Websmith                           .     800.441.3873 x130
  Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.             .        3550 Arapahoe Ave
  http://www.pcraft.com                  .            Boulder, CO 80303