You prolly don't have loopback device support compiled into the kernel,
which you need for a ton of things :)

So go compile in support for it, do any of the MBR config stuff you
need to do, and use:

dd if=kernel_image_name of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

To make a bootdisk. I think that's what I use. Now, that won't do the
whole rescue bit but it supports the general single mode stuff, etc.
Plus, the kernel loads into memory really fast when you do it this way
since the kernel image is actually a boot image. Do "file kernel_image_name"
to see what I'm saying :)

[root@circuit /root]# file /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3: x86 boot sector

as it is on my system.