David wrote:
> I am running RH7.0 (kernel 2.2.17), and it does appear to have beta support for your
>card (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help.

I am not going to update RH6.2 down to  7.2 release (as though long it was not
necessary to wait - principle such.).

>I currently do not own a UDMA66 controller, but I have been considering it.
>Shoot me an email and tell me how it performs.

Whether and it is necessary? In any case (even if it's integrated in the motherboard,
it does not give promised (the game of worlds) 66 as well as
UDMA-33 do not give 33 - all it only advertising.) So I recommend you to wait for
final acceptance of the standard ATA-100.
There can be it 66 can offer really, and not just in the the user's guide.
Mine Promise is inserted in PCI slot and works in Windows98 perfectly.

But it is not clear that:
In the beginning, at initialization of the hard disk, the system attempts to work with
the hard disk on maximum speed, and if the hard disk
does not maintain this speed, the system reduces speed up to possible. Thus UDMA-33
really works as PIO4.
And in a case Promise-66, it's defined already after all rest (system should count,
that it lowspeed, but works
faster. Such curvature of space.

>Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

I would rescue penguins or man from his computer better.
And in Russia snow again has dropped out (and yesterday was +15C)

Write, is always glad.
--