On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Selim Jahangir wrote:

> Hi All
> Can anybobey help to configure auto-replying to sender of an email ?
>
> I have configured like following
>
> Suppose user name selim
> In selim's home directory, I created a .forward file containg the
> information
> \selim "|/usr/bin/vacation  selim"
>
> When I send a mail to selim I get a mesage like
> forwarding a mail to a program is unsafe after then it saves this messages
> as dead letter.
>
> Any solution or help.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> selim

As a security feature, the sendmail packages on RedHat is configures so
that it will only run programs that are in /etc/smrsh.  So create a
symlink to the vacation program in /etc/smrsh, or more the program
there, and change the forward file to:
\selim "|/etc/smrsh/vacation  selim"

\selim "|vacation  selim" may work as well, but I have never tryed it -
I try to use the full path when ever I am writing scripts that will be
run by a daemon, (Or set the path in the script.)  It saves problems.

Mikkel