Thanks for the response, but I have to say "kind of".

The guy I'm working with seems to believe that linux is doing the
equivalent of "ifconfig eth0 down", which is a quite different kind of
going down.

Also, many OSes log something when there's a conflict.  I saw one
message that said linux does, but 1) I saw nothing of that message in
the kernel source and 2) I'm looking for corroboration.

I'm not trying to single out linux for derision.  Please don't feel
you need to defend it.

So to clarify: Does linux ifconfig the interface down in the event of
an ip address conflict?  Does it log anything?  Can it simply be made
to log anything?  Does it do the minimum of seeming down while the
router is caching the wrong ether address for the IP?