I'm guessing it's a bug, because we had the same problem.  If nothing
else, the situation could be described by the software more clearly.

I generated my gpg key on linux a long time ago, and it has continued
to work.  But when I worked with someone on setting up a new key for
their account, linux didn't work as we expected, but something else
did - I think it was irix or tru64.

I'd contact the gpg people to see if there's a problem with current
versions of gpg on linux.