Two options:

1) dd if=kernel_image_filename of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
2) mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 kernel_image_filename

These two options aren't the same, though. The first will put the kernel
on a floppy in a raw sort of way. Used to boot kernel from the floppy
instead of off the harddisk. After the kernel is loaded, the system picks
everything up. If this is all you want, then it's a nice fast solution.

The second option is much slower at boottime, but it makes a mini system
on a floppy to get the system booted with no extras. Used for rescuing a
system, usually. When the system boots up this way, Linux runs off the
floppy (as opposed to the first option which only pulls the kernel off the
floppy and boots normally).

There are uses for both. Is it worth making one of each? Maybe.. maybe
not. Always good to have a rescue disk, but on a dual boot system without
LILO in the MBR, the first option is tastey :)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Ted Gervais wrote:

> How do I make a boot -disk now that I have RedHat7.1 in place?
> It failed to make one during the installation so now I have only the one from
> RedHat 7.0..
>
> I tried doing a dd if=/boot/vmlinuz if=/dev/fd0 etc etc.
> and while that copied that file it seems to need something else.
> Should I be manually copying some of the other files found in the /boot
> directory..??
> --
> Ted Gervais
> Coldbrook, Nova Scotia Canada