You might want to go to Oracle's site.  They have tutorials and online
documentation that will help you.  I suggest you sign up for
otn.oracle.com, it gives you more access to the docs.   One generally
builds databases from scripts.  This allows for the variance of table
sizes, extents, etc.  Once built most people "connect" to the database by
using sqlplus as a user of that database.  svrmgr is usually used as a line
of last resort by a DBA.  Again, I will tell you that running 8.1.7 on 6.2
is probably the most stable Oracle environment for Red Hat.

Paul Anderson