this looks much more like an "sh -c" command called either through a cgi or
worse through an exploit, lacking the argument string (ie : the shell
command), fortunately for you but unfortunately for the caller.

the fact that those error messages reside in the generic "error_log"
instead of in a virtual server log file means that this thing happens
BEFORE the server can check WHICH virtual server to connect. if you can't
relate the beginning of those message with a configuration change, it may
be likely that you're getting strange http requests...

let us know !

>TGF> I'm having a lot of lines like this on /etc/httpd/log/error_log
>TGF>     sh: `-c' requires an argument
>TGF> It's very extrange because all the servers running from apache are
>TGF> virtualized and with their specific 'error_log' files...
>TGF> What does this means?
>
>man httpd for more...
>
>"-c" is for adding directives after the config file has been read. Basically
>it is a way to add additional directives from the command line when starting
>apache.
>
>> It's something dangerous?
>
>Probably not. At least I don't know a way to exploit this.
>
>>  How to avoid it?
>
>How do you start/stop apache? That would be where to look. If you are using
>the init scripts, check in there. If it looks like something from the
>restart during log rotation then check into what is going on there.
>
>HTH.
>
>Have fun,
>--
> Brian Ashe                     CTO
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]              Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.
> http://www.dee-web.com/

Mes idees n'engagent que moi (vieux proverbe du Net)

Thierry ITTY
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                FRANCE