On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Mike Chambers wrote:

>Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:14:34 -0500
>From: Mike Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: RedHat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: linux talk
>
>I saw this before, anyone know what command you do to make a linux computer
>beep or make the beep sound?

/bin/vi

*runs*

Seriously, try:

echo -e "\007"

or if you want to get fancy/play music:

man 4 console_codes

       ESC [ 10 ; n ]      Set bell frequency in Hz.
       ESC [ 11 ; n ]      Set bell duration in msec.

#!/bin/bash
FREQ=345
DUR=300
echo -e "\033[10;$FREQ]\033[11;$DUR]\007"

Playing multiple notes after one another doesn't work great.  You
need to put a delay in, but I dunno of a scriptable subsecond
delay... sorry..  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,