Hi Jerry

On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Jerry Garrison wrote:

> I installed the rpm called 'kernel-source-2.2.17-14.i386.rpm'.  I'm a newbie
> and I don't understand what you mean by 'build it yourself'.  Does that
> happen automatically when I install the source rpm or is there something
> else I need to do?  Should I have installed file under the 'SRPMS' heading
> called 'kernel-2.2.17-14.src.rpm' instead?

This simply installs the kernel source. What this means is you now have
the C files used to compile/build the kernel. You have not actually
changed anything on your system. Until you compile a kernel,
configure/install it, and then reboot, you have not actually used it.

In case it is not clear, this does not mean you have upgraded your
kernel! All it means is you have the source files for a 2.2.17-14 kernel.

To see what kernel your are running right now, do

uname -a

The kernel version will be the third field (After Linux your.machine.name)

> A directory called 'linux-2.2.17-14' was created.

yup, that where it goes.

> It looks like that that VMware is looking for directories called 'asm',
> 'linux' and
> 'net'.  When I do a 'whereis' on these, the response back says that they are
> all in /usr/include.  But when I go there, 'net' is there, but 'asm' and
> 'linux' are linked to /usr/local/src/linux/include/.  And there's nothing
> below the /usr/local/src level.

Ok, whereis just looks in your path and tells you what *executables* match
the parameter you give it. You want to use 'locate'

Try 'locate asm'. You should find it under
/usr/src/linux-2.2.17-14/include

> So I still need the files called 'asm' and 'linux'.  They aren't in the
> ''linux-2.2.17-14' directory.  'net' is, but 'asm' and 'linux' aren't.

I'm not running 2.2.17, but they sure do exist for 2.2.16

> > > I am trying to install VMware.  It wants to know the location of the
> > > 'directory of C header files that match your running kernel'.  In a
> later
> > > prompt, it refers to the files it needs as 'the directory of kernel
> > > headers'.  The prompt suggests that the files may be in
> > > /usr/src/linux/include.  But those files all have to do with the old
> kernel.
> > > I had to upgrade from 2.2.14-5.0 to 2.2.17-14 because I have an i810
> > > chipset.

Ok, here is the bottom line. make *sure* you are running 2.2.17-14 first
(see above). Then just make a symbolic link from /usr/src/linux
/usr/src/linux-2.2.17-14 like this

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.17-14 /usr/src/linux

and vmware should find the files.

If you are not running 2.2.17, install the kernel-source or kernel-headers
for the kernel you are using

hth
charles