On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Tym Rehm wrote:

> 15

it's perfectly reasonable, i think, to be annoyed by lengthy and
verbose "disclaimers" like this, mostly because they're totally
useless.  it's not clear how someone, anyone, can send me mail,
then tell me what my legal obligations are with respect to that
mail.  according to every canon of american law that i know of,
no one can arbitrarily enforce a contract on another party without
their consent.  so to send me unsolicited email, then tell me what
obligations and restrictions i have for that email, is a pretty
stupid thing to do, and was clearly developed by lawyers who have
nothing better to do and are getting paid by the hour.

but rather than complain about it, as i've done before when people
have totally bogus disclaimers like this, i take the easy way out --
procmail filters -- and i never have to see this nonsense again,
and i encourage others to do the same until companies like fitnessquest
smarten up and learn some basic mailing list etiquette.

rday

p.s.  yes, i know it's not mr. rehm's fault, and it may be out of
his control.  but it's the only option i've got.  so there.

--
Robert P. J. Day
Eno River Technologies, Durham NC

"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"