Hi List,

I played with RH5.0 and 5.2 a few years ago and never progressed very
far. Over the week end I set about installing 6.2 (because I had the
CD).

During the installation I selected to start the web server daemon
(httpd) - presumably this is the apache server? Anyway the thing comes
up [ FAILED ] at boot time - when you get those lovely green [ OK ] 's
for everything else. The error is "could not locate local host name, use
Servername to configure manually" or words pretty close to that.

I have both a NIC and modem in the machine and I suspect that there is
some issue here in the configuration of the NIC or other network
settings. Am I correct? The hostname is "dragon" with localIP (for the
NIC) of 192.168.1.13.

Is it that there is a file where "localhost" info is stored and
something mismatches?

Is it because of a domain name thing because the local IP address (of
the NIC) does not match the "allocated" one when I log on to my ISP. In
any event, how do the two IP numbers relate (dynamic [from the ISP]
versus assigned to NIC [by me when I configured it])? If I don't have a
DNS when I am not connected to the 'net, what do I have to configure to
make this transparent?

Is it because I failed to find the correct HOWTO, mini-HOWTO or FAQ?

I really only installed the web server because I thought it might come
in handy down the track when I begin playing with these sort of things.
Having finallyd tune my display, configured the sound card, and got
access to my other partitions, this remains a mystery. Any help
appreciated.

Alex.