Bruce Kall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What effect does this have for the gcc-2.96-81 shipped with
> RH7.1?   This note predates RH7.1 by about 6 months.

1) In order to preservere binary compatiblity, there was obviously not
   going to be any major changes
2) gcc 3 is still not out, leaving our compiler as the best version
   out there
3) The reasons for not shipping the older compilers (bugs etc) are
   still valid.
4) We have labeled it mroe clearly as a Red Hat supported release,
   to make sure they

> Current snapshots of GCC, and any version labeled 2.96, produce object
> files that are not compatible with those produced by either GCC 2.95.2
> or the forthcoming GCC 3.0.

Wrt C++:

gcc 2.95 isn't compatible with gcc 3.0 either - or egcs 1, egcs 1.2,
gcc 2.8, gcc 2.7 or our compiler. C++ and binary compatiblity is
broken for _all_ combinations, not just ours - gcc 3 attempts to solve
the issue, but hasn't been released.

> If you encounter a bug in a compiler labeled 2.96, we suggest you
> contact whoever supplied the compiler as we can not support 2.96
> versions that were not issued by the GCC team.

Of course. It's the best one out there now, and we intend to keep it
that way as long as we have to. We will eventually move up to gcc 3
when it is released and stabilized, but downgrading to buggier and
less standards compliant releases now is not an option.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.