I recently installed Seawolf and have been trying to use a 'slip' link to go
from the kernel to a NOS application. This allows NOS to work with the kernel
and to go out onto the internet and Radio  Frequency network.

The arrangement is simple where the kernel sees the application and the
application sees the kernel.

A < --sees---> B.

Next a default route is installed allowing  A or B to go to C which is the
default route and the gateway to the internet.

A<--->B---->C (internet)..

Well all my efforts to get this done failed. The kernel and NOS could work
each other just fine and the kernel could get to the default gateway and
beyond, but not so with NOS (B).  No luck whatsoever.. All NOS (B) could do
was simply to get back and forth from A, the kernel.

Now - with all that in mind, here is something interesting. In my moment of
dispair and desparation -  I formatted my hard drive and installed
SLACKWARE7.1.  I installed the slip link exactly as I did in Redhat7.1 and it
worked perfectly!!

What in the world is different about RH7.1 that it simply would not allow an
application like NOS to communicate across a slip link to a gateway and
beyond??   What did I miss?  Could it be the firewall?  Or does RedHat have
secrets that are yet to be revealed??

--
Ted Gervais
Coldbrook, Nova Scotia Canada.