I have a small Linux box in my office that serves for a workgroup webserver,
PostgreSQL server, and X server for a document search engine using HtDig. In
addition it's used as a limited C++ development and DHTML test box.

This box has been running RH 7.0 for quite some time without a problem.  My group
is about to start a major project that will be partially RH 7.2 based.  So I
decided to upgrade the box.

What a mistake.  HtDig now doesn't work, PostgreSQL doesn't like the old database
format, X didn't work initially, and the NIC card isn't being recognized.  I got
X to work by switching from a DHCP supplied IP to a static IP address.  That's
when I discovered the onboard NIC (3Com 503 type) isn't being recognized.  I can
go into Network Config and reconfig the hostname, ip address, netmask, etc., but
that doesn't help much.  When I reboot L0 is found but not eth0.  I once got the
card up by issuing "ifconfig eth0 up".  But it won't come up automatically.  This
has got me puzzled.

Anyone have any idea what happened and how I can fix it?

Mike W
Raymore, MO