Hello,

        I have a Compaq proliant DL360 server running Red Hat 6.2 which has
been upgraded to kernel 2.4.3.   Upon boot up the machine hangs on starting
portmapper.  I re-compiled the kernel, disabling the Ethernet card and
everything works excluding network connections.  I am guessing I have some
problem relating to the Ethernet card or possibly some utilities which are
involved in network usage.  I read that Compaq PC's should use the "e100"
driver opposed to "eepro100" which Red Hat uses by default.  I compiled and
installed the "e100" driver and edited "modules.conf" so that it will use
that driver for eth0. I rebooted and the same problem existed, hanging on
starting portmapper.  I'm now beginning to wonder if I need to upgrade
portmapper to work correctly with 2.4.3.  I've never seen this problem
before and would appreciate ANY help or suggestions people on this list
have.