> From: David Talkington <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Kevin Greenidge wrote:
>
> >I get the following message when trying to install
> >Powerchute backup software from APC version 4.5.3 on
> >7.1 and on 7.2 and I'm getting the same errors. How do
> >I correct this?
> >
> >/dev/ttyS0 verified as a valid tty
> >
> >The following Port validations for /dev/ttyS0 may take
> >a few moments....
> >/dev/ttyS0 appears to be a local control port
> >WARNING: Port must be configured for modem control in
> >order to work with a
> >"Simple" Signaling UPS
>
> Short answer: you need a special cable.
>
> Long diatribe: Despite the fact that they provide the software for
> using their hardware with Unix, they didn't provide the cable that's
> required (940-0023A).  Further, they refused to give me the pinouts
> for the cable when I asked for them.  I figured out why when I got a
> price quote for that cable: $80.  It's pretty disgusting behavior, if
> you ask me, and has cost them a customer.
>
> If you want to build your own cable, you can get the pinouts from a
> Google search.  But don't expect any help from APC.
>
> - -d

When I called APC (about a year ago) and told them I used Linux and
needed a different cable, they sent me the cable for free in the mail.

Actually, you can get away with the original cable using the open
source software. Do a search for ssd-2.0.1.tar.gz. I don't remember
where I got it. I had to modify the software because it wanted to
shutdown right away when the power failed (even if you had a two
minute delay). After playing with it for a while, I changed something
and got it to work correctly. If you can't find the software, I can
put the .tar.gz file on a web site for you to download.

Dave