On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, Bob Staaf wrote:

> Bill,
>
>      The Kudzu service is running but, I haven't restarted the server or
> done anything with it since last night and those messages are from 3 hours
> ago.  I was under the impression Kudzu only checks for new hardware on
> startup or I guess unless you invoke it?

 I was just trying to suggest things that might try to load modules;
I've seen console messages like these with older versions of kudzu.

 The most plausible explanation I can see is that some process is
trying to read files in /dev/, such as some kind of backup, or maybe
a misconfigured tripwire or other tool.  Each time a /dev/xxx file
is opened for a non-existent device, the kernel calls /sbin/modprobe
with {block,char}-major-XX to see if it can handle the device.

 Do you have any cron jobs running at that time, or has anyone run
a manual process that might have opened those device files?

 What does this server do again?

--
Bill Crawford, Unix Systems Developer, GTS Netcom
work: [EMAIL PROTECTED], home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]