For everyone's reference, I fixed this problem on my machine by using the
"noathlon" kernel parameter.  On the boot diskette, type "linux noathlon", so that
you can boot the system.  Use the pico editor (or other) to edit /etc/grub.conf
and add "athlon" to the end of the kernel line so that it looks something like:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda7 hdc=ide-scsi noathlon

If you used Lilo instead of Grub, there is probably a similar change to /etc/lilo.conf

The release notes mention this problem:

   "Some Athlon-class machines are out-of-spec or have overly aggressive
    chipset configurations set by their BIOS.  On these systems, you
    may see random "Oops" messages at boot time (after successfully
    completing the install process) and will be unable to boot successfully.
    On these systems, boot with the "noathlon" option to turn off the
    athlon optimizations; install the 686 kernel instead of the athlon
    kernel to avoid this for the future."

My motherboard is an IWILL  KK266Plus.  I think the ABIT KG7 might have the same
problem.

- Viktors