I am running a Valinux Redhat version 2.2.14-5.0.14b. My system was
running for 21 days continuously. Tonight, I was using
Netscape-Communicator when my machine started behaving
erratically. I had to kill Netscape from the command prompt, and there
were 3 Netscape processes running. Every time I tried to start Netscape
again, I wound up having to kill it from the prompt, and then I started
getting core dumps and could not even do a 'df' or an 'ls' without a core
dump and receiving an error message similar to the one recorded in
/var/log/messages:

Nov 19 19:02:53 localhost httpd: httpd: error in loading shared
libraries: libcrypt.so.1: cannot map zero-fill pages: Cannot allocate memory
Nov 19 19:02:53 localhost httpd:  startup failed

When I could do a 'free' I found that all my swap space had been used up
on my 256 meg machine, as well as most other memory. I believe I got an
out of memory error from the shell prompt.

I also got watchdog errors in my email that warned me that my httpd and
sendmail processes had "been restarted or something has gone wrong."

I wound up rebooting the system and it is behaving fine now, not
exhibiting any problems.

Did I just have a process that went wild, out of control, and brought the
house down? Is there something I should watch for to see if something is
not quite right such that this could happen again?

I've had this machine for 2 years without such an incident and haven't
been making any changes recently. Any help appreciated.

Gary