On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:06:05 -0800
Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:

I had a similar experience trying to recover from some problems back
when they first started getting used. Ever since, I immediately retype
the stuff in fstab to avoid such problems.

I personally think it should be an option to use or not use it.

> Just relating a recent experience I had that caused me to take a hard
> look at the change to using LABEL syntax in /etc/fstab that occured
> some time ago.
>
> I happended to be booting up a spare disk as 2nd master having
> unhooked the normal 2nd master.  As it happened that spare disc had
> once been in use and had a linux file system on it resembling those in
> my normal installation.  However some of the named partitions were on
> different devices.
>
> Example: I use a partiton called /anex on several machines, its not
> always on the same device on each machine though.  In this case
> /anex was on /dev/hda11 in the normal install.  However the spare disk
> I had temporarily hooked to 2nd master, had /anex on /hdc9.
>
> When I booted up, the wrong /anex got mounted causing lots of
> confusion for a while.  I wondered if the LABEL syntax was what
> allowed that to happen, so edited /etc/fstab to use the actual device
> names as in the past.  On reboot the correct /anex got mounted.
>
> I thought I understood the proposed benefit of having LABEL syntax but
> now I see at least one situation where it could have caused serious
> damage or other mishaps.  Is it really a bad thing to nail down the
> devices being mounted to specific OS devices?
>
> It may cause some small inconvience somewhere, but it seems that
> having nailed down devices has got to be the clearist way to go.

Nice little planet you've got there. Shame if anything were to happen to
it.