On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 05:35:50PM +0800, Mark Lo wrote:
>        My server is not able to send and receive email from powernethk.com.
> I have the following error messages from the log files.  What does it mean.
> I am using Redhat 6.2 & qmail.
>
> Nov 22 05:19:49 dns1 named[7391]: "powernethk.com IN MX" points to a CNAME
> (mailhost.powernethk.com)
> Nov 22 05:19:49 dns1 named[7391]: "mailhost.powernethk.com IN A" points to a
> CNAME (mailhost.powernethk.com)

It's not strictly your problem, unless you are the one responsible for building
the Domain Name Service (DNS) records for 'powernethk.com'.

First, some (simplified) DNS terminology about records in the zone file:

 -An 'A' record is a DNS address record.  It should always refer to an
  IP address.

 -A 'CNAME' record is a Canonical Name record.  It should point to the name
  of an 'A' record.  Think of it as an alias for an 'A' record.

 -An 'MX' record is a Mail Exchanger record.  It usually should point
  to an 'A' record; it _may_ point to a CNAME record (although this
  causes additional nameserver lookups).

NOW, qmail isn't complaining--it looks like named is.  The first is a
warning that the MX record in the zone file for 'powernethk.com' points
not to an 'A' record, but to a CNAME.  This shouldn't be rejected.

The second warning is probably the killer.  Named is complaining that the
'A' record for 'mailhost.powernethk.com' does NOT have an address-it points
to a CNAME. This is bad.  There MAY be a valid 'A' record pointed to by
that CNAME, but since nothing's being sent, I doubt it.

Go over the DNS records carefully, or complain to the hostmaster of that
domain.

Cheers & G'luck,
--
        Dave Ihnat