On Fri, 23 Nov 2001, Bong Tumanut wrote:

> Thanks for responding, Duncan and Mike Burger.
>
> I'm using
> "telnet 10.0.0.10"
> so I don't think that's the problem. The message I get
> in win98 is
> "Could not open a connection to 10.0.0.10."

Hah!  Did you install the ipchains firewall when installing RedHat?  I think
7.1 introduced it as an install time feature.

Use ipchains -nL to check as root.

Look for port 23 or ports 0:1023 REJECT.  If thats the case, a _quick_ fix
to test is /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains stop

However, if the linux box provides net connectivity, this is a bad idea
without unplugging the world.  If that does indeed fix it, turn the chains
back on with /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains start, and take a poke at
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains :)

--

Sapere aude
My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely.