Hi

I am trying to disable some network services so I can Install the Bynari
Email server.

I do not understand as I have run locate inetd.conf and cannot find it.

Help please

This is specified in the manual as below

ftp, pop3 and imap-4
·       Open a console/terminal
·       Login as root (su)
·       As root, open the inetd.conf file with an editor
·       Alter inetd.conf to exclude ftp, pop3 and imap-4 services
·       Cause inetd.conf to re-read its modified config file
·       Verify, if needed, by telneting to port 21, 110 and 143.  If
connection is refused, these services have been disabled.

Example:
        # vi /etc/inetd.conf
        (comment out ftp, imap-4 and pop-3)
        # ps -edaf | grep inetd
        root 474 466 TS 80 0 Mar 01 ? 0:00 /usr/sbin/inetd
        root 29878 29867 TS 85 0 10:39:39 pts/6 0:00 grep inetd
        # kill -HUP 474

ldap, http, and smtp
·       Open a console/terminal
·       Login as root (su)
·       As root, determine which ports are occupied
·       Determine which pids (process id's) are bound to which ports, then
kill pids to prevent them from starting at boot time

Example:
# cat > /tmp/psall
ps -A -o "pid comm" | grep -E 'inetd|slapd|pwcheck|exim|sendmail|httpd'
netstat -a | grep LISTEN | grep -E '(\.80|http)'
netstat -a | grep LISTEN | grep -E '(\.389|ldap)'
netstat -a | grep LISTEN | grep -E '(\.25|smtp)'
# chmod +x /tmp/psall
# /tmp/psall
66622 inetd
132317 sendmail
tcp 2 0 0 *.smtp *.* LISTEN

In our example, the smtp port is in use.  On your machine, any ports listed
by the netstat command will need to be freed.  In our case only one port was
in use.  Since the smtp port is normally bound by sendmail, we need to stop
sendmail before we can install Insight Server.  We use the process id (pid)
which was displayed in the above list for the kill command.  You will need
to use the correct pid which shows up on your system.

                Example:
                # kill 132317

This mail was processed by Mail essentials for Exchange/SMTP,
the email security & management gateway. Mail essentials adds
content checking, email encryption, anti spam, anti virus,
attachment compression, personalised auto responders, archiving
and more to your Microsoft Exchange Server or SMTP mail server.
For more information visit http://www.mailessentials.com