I may have not stated the question correctly.

I have two files, foo1.java and foo2.java foo2.java imports foo1.  On my
Windows machine, I can simply execute javac foo2.java and javac compiles
foo1.java and foo2.java.  Same jdk on Linux does not.  In neither case do I
have a classpath set.  On my windows machine, I have a dot at the end of the
path search to denote the current address.  I had expected the Linux version to
automatically find foo1.java compile it and import the class file into foo2,
but that is not happening.

If I compile foo1.java first, then compile foo2, all works fine.

John
On 11/24/01, 10:26:19PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, John P. Verel wrote:
>
> > Running jdk-1.3.1-fcs.  When I attempt to compile a .java file that
> > imports a class that is yet uncompiled but whose source file is in the
> > current directory, I get an error message saying the the class file
> > cannot be found.  On my W95 machine at work with the same jdk, the
> > compiler finds and compiles any such uncompiled source.
> >
> > I've fiddled with CLASSPATH, PATH, etc. all with no luck.  Any ideas on
> > this one?
>
> Your classpath must be wrong. From your above description, my bet is you
> are using ";" in your classpath so it gets cropped before your src tree is
> included.
>
> If not, then make sure you have the root of your source tree int he
> classpath. If you are developing com.foo.SnazzyApp.YourClass and you are
> in
>
> /home/jverel/dev/java/src/com/foo/SnazzyApp
>
> you should compile with
>
> javac -classpath /home/jverel/dev/java/src YourClass.java
>

> hth
> charles

John P. Verel
Living Proof That Low Tech Beats High Tech!