I just came across the latest remote root exploit for wu-ftp, which I
dutifully installed on the small server I maintain.  It's too bad
redhat released the patch early, but accidents happen and there's
nothing to be done about it now.

That aside, I am wondering why the major distributions stick with
software like wu-ftpd, which have such poor security records, when
better alternatives exist, e.g.:

postfix instead of sendmail
proftpd instead of wu-ftpd

I know these can be installed after the fact, but why aren't they part
of the default install?  Isn't it asking for trouble to stick with
insecure software?

p.s.  is there a decent replacement for bind that djb doesn't own?