Bret Hughes wrote:

> We have been using an openssh/pppd tunnel as a vpn for quite some time
> with great sucess.  My partner just got a highspeed connection at his
> house and I was walking him through setting up the connection to our
> office when we got to the step of trying the actual connection after
> verifying all the ssh keys and seeing the ppp garbage sent back from the
> server.
>
> The scripts we use to do this on RH6.2 all use a pty-redir that is
> apparently a part of the linuxconf package.

Actually, I think that thing was available separately.

> This box is a 7.2 and we have not installed linuxconf.  Is there some
> functionallity in the 2.4 kernel or some other package that renders this
> obsolete or do I need to install linuxconf?

The ppp command now supports pty redirection directly.  I don't
remember the specifics of the command, but man ppp should show it
to you.

> If I do still need the linuxconf pty-redir does anyone know if I can
> just install it without the rest of the monster package?

The old pty-redir won't work with the kernels in 7.2.  There is a
newer version on the net, but I never got it to work.  The ppp
option works great, though.

-Scott