On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 08:59:49PM +0000, Jack Byers wrote:

> Well I was trying to back up  my /etc dir of my 5.2 sys byers
> by copying it over to a subdir under a username on my 6.2 sys corni
> I used ftp as root and thot i had the right syntax
> to get the files copied over to that subdir.

Whoa... Sounds very bad.
Another exemple why you shouldn't do this as root, I guess.

> full reinstall only possibility? or what?
> I am not thinking too clearly right now...
> any advice appreciated..

Use `ls` to get the list of the files in /etc/ that are dated
from the ftp transfer. Use `rpm -qf` to determine what packages
these belong to and re-install them using the `--replacefiles`
to get the /etc/ files by default.

Some of the files change, you should be able to edit by hand
provided you don't have too complicated a system (passwd,
group, shadow, hosts, etc...)

Emmanuel