On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 11:04:47PM -0600, Glen Lee Edwards thoughtfully expounded:
> Using Red Hat 7.2, info 4.0b-3.  It isn't pulling up several info files,
> including but not limited to xemacs and lispref.  The info files for these two
> are installed in /usr/share/info, as is the info file for emacs, which is
> working.  How do I get info to access all the info files on the system?

Glen,

I have had this problem with RH 6.2 as well.

First see where /usr/share/info/dir is located.  For me it is symlinked to
/etc/info-dir, but RH 7.2 may not do this.  The key point is that I had to run
/sbin/install-info for each info file in the /usr/share/info directory, in
order to update it fully.  This works on the foo.info.gz files as well.

I did it (as root) with a bash loop like so:
# [tporter@vasili tporter] su
# Password: xxxxx
# [root@vasili tporter] cd /usr/share/info
# [root@vasili info]$ for i in *.gz
# > do
# > /sbin/install-info -d /etc/info-dir $i
# > done

It will complain about already existing entries, but will add your new ones.  I
had to do this for the non-.gz ones as well.

HTH

--
Tom Porter                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],