Patrick Nelson wrote:
----------------->>>>
Art Ross
Drew Hunt wrote:

> Mandrake 8.1 with a LinkSys WPC11 (~$100) and wlan (www.linux-wlan.org)
> drivers.  No complaints.  You'll need an access point for the lab, either
> linux box with wireless set to masq or one from a vendor.  I use LinkSys
> 4-port wireless Cable/DSL/Wireless aP with integrated firewall (~$200).
> Works fine and has an easy web-based interface.
>
> Drew

Thanks for the link to the linux-wlan project.  We'll research our position
more and hopefully find an economical solution.
----------------->>>>

OMG, I had tried this with a Melco Buffalo PCMCIA card (WLI-PCM-L11) in the
past and for some reason didn't get connected.  Not sure if I was in a hurry
then but just didn't get it working.  Saw the link above and decided to just
look into it.

So I went to techworks.com (where I purchased our AirStation and PCMCIA
cards) which pointed to buffalotech.com (or something like that) and found
that they don't support Linux (<--brilliant, just brilliant), but they had a
URL to the Jean Tourrilhes's HP supported site
(http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wavelan.html).
Started reading and he made it sound easy so again I plugged in my wireless
card and fired it up.

No connection to the AirStation on bootup (expected).  The tool iwconfig
(part of the wireless tool kit, standard on RH72) showed the device
connected to eth0.  So I used iwconfig to set the essid, the mode, the rate,
and the key.  Then pinged the ip of the access point (AirStation) and nearly
died when the pings came through.  It didn't survived a reboot, but I
followed information to /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and found the section for
my card (it was actually listed can you believe it?  How often does that
happen?) edited the variables vales for essid, mode, rate, and key.  Then
did a /etc/init.d/pcmcia stop and a /etc/init.d/pcmcia start and checked my
connectivity --> connected.  Rebooted and this time it survived the reboot.

Yeah!  Stoked!

That was it my last reason to keep MS on my laptop...  Just repartitioned
the fat32 to e3fs and incorporated it as my /var!  And I thought this day
wasn't going good!  Ha!