On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, dave brett wrote:

> I turned my computer on this morning and when Xwindow started, it is
> messed up.  The only thing I am able to do is run one xterm.  From there I
> can run any application which will start from a command line.
>
> I looked through my home directory and cannot find the configuration file
> for starting my window manager.
>
> I am running RH7.2 and was running gnome and sawfish when I last was using
> the computer.  I would appreciate any suggestions.
>
> david

Sounds like you somehow nuked your config files for X, so when you log
into X, it starts w/ twm, which, as you have noted, is rather feature-poor
;)

I'm not that familiar w/ the config files that you need to be able to help
you reconstruct them, other than to suggest a couple things.

1)  If you use kdm/gdm to log in to X, you might try something other than
'Default'.  Try specifying GNOME or KDE and see how that works, if it does
at all.

2)  Try creating another user, and copy the dot-files for X created by
default from their /home directory.  Alternately, you could copy from
/etc/skel/ which is where the system stores them, I believe.

HTH,

Monte