On 17 Dec 2001, Chris Montgomery wrote:

> I just recently installed RH7.1 and am wondering about the best way to
> update apps. For example, I want to install the Galeon web browser.

In this specific case, Galeon is included in Red Hat Linux 7.2.  You can
install the galeon package, and update its dependencies using packages
from the newer distribution if you don't want to do the full upgrade.

> Running the Gnome RPM application and using the Web Find option, I see
> that the site (Red Hat?) that lists all the RPMs has the same thing I
> already have installed, i.e., the versions of Gnome/Mozilla I need to
> install Galeon aren't there.

For that version of Red Hat Linux, no.  Red Hat tends not to update
packages that don't have serious problems.  There would, therefore,
normally not be an update to GNOME available specifically for 7.1.
However, the later versions of the distributions will usually have updated
packages, and binary compatibility should be good across "major" releases.
(That is: packages for 7.2 should work on 7.1, though they may require
other libraries and support packages be updated, too)

> So, how is the best way to go about this? Should I be grabbing the
> source/rpm files from Gnome and Mozilla rather than waiting for the
> rpm files at Red Hat (or wherever the Gnome RPM app taps into)?

Well, Red Hat isn't going to release an update for 7.1 (at least, not that
I know of :), so if you want to stick with vendor supported packages, you
and upgrade entirely to 7.2 or just get the GNOME packages you require.

> BTW, who, exactly, puts out the Gnome apps?

If you mean "GNOME binaries", then the answer is "whoever wants to".  Red
Hat builds and tests binary packages for their distribution.  SuSE builds
and tests their own, etc.  Ximian offers the service of up-to-date core
GNOME packages for a variety of Linux platforms, as well as non-core
packages that are frequently not distributed by Linux vendors (e.g.
Evolution, gnome-pilot, gtkmm, gnomemm...)

> The Gnome site at gnome.org actually points to Ximian's site in one
> place for downloading Gnome binary files. I thought Red Hat was the
> producer of Gnome apps.

Red Hat supports the packages that they distribute.  If you're looking for
something newer for whatever reason, you can get packages from a different
vendor (Ximian).  Red Hat won't support those, though  :)

> Another question: I've noticed that there are at least three package
> managers - Gnome RPM, Ximian's Red-Carpet, and KDE also has one. Is
> one any better than the other?

GnoRPM and Kpackage are mostly the same.  Red Carpet has additional
features: it can query servers for information about the currently
available packages for software those servers know about.  It's geared
toward their service of offering up-to-date packages.

> Do they all use rpm databases that are consistent regarding file
> versions, or does one pull more current source files than the others?

All of them use the same rpm database, and they all use rpm's API to do
it.  There should never be a conflict between them.

> And when updating apps with them, do they expunge the old app files or
> do they just add to the files already there, filling up more disk
> space?

Just like 'rpm', when a package is updated, the old files are overwritten,
and files no longer in the package are removed (except for config files,
which are saved)

--
If I had a dollar for every brain that you don't have,
        I'd have one dollar. - Squidward to SpongeBob