On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Stephen Liu wrote:

> 1)
> # e2fsck -c /dev/hda6
> e2fsck 1.23, 15-Aug-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> /dev/hda6 is mounted.
>
> WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
> SEVERE filesystem damage.
>
> Do you really want to continue (y/n)?   (no)

Boot to single user mode first, and remount the disk read only:
telinit 1
mount / -o remount,ro
e2fsck -c /dev/hda6

> 2)
> # e2fsck -c /dev/hda

You should only need to run e2fsck on hda6.  However, if you want to test
the whole drive for errors, boot to single user mode and run badblocks
directly (rather than from e2fsck):
telinit 1
mount / -o remount,ro
badblocks /dev/hda

> What will be the proper commands to check
>
> 1) hard disc

as above

> 2) Video card

dunno.  There's an X benchmarking tool out there somewhere, but I can't
remember what it's called for the life of me...

> 3) cdrom
> 4) cdwriter

none that I know of.  Perhaps you could 'md5sum' the drive with one of the
Red Hat discs in it, and compare the result to the MD5SUM's they publish
for their ISO's.

> >Now I have memtest86 downloaded from Internet.

Memory is a fairly common problem, even on new computers.  Run that
sometime soon (maybe overnight, to be sure :)

> >How to test the processor by compiling the kernel.  Which
> >software/commands have to apply ?

Get one of Red Hat's kernel-<version>.src.rpm and:
rpm --rebuild kernel-<version>.src.rpm

Again, that's something that you could run overnight for a good burn-in
test:

while rpm --rebuild kernel-<version>.src.rpm ; do : ; done

If it's still running in the morning, there shouldn't have been any
problems.

--
If I had a dollar for every brain that you don't have,
        I'd have one dollar. - Squidward to SpongeBob