I am currently experiencing some strangeness with Apache 1.3.19 & PHP 3.0.18 on RedHat
7.0, 7.1 and 7.2.

Servers are HP LP1000r Dual CPU Pentium III machines with 1GB ram.

In looking through this we have recompiled apache and php with different options
including trying with dmalloc to see if this is a memorly leak. I have used mtrace
against the httpd daemon itself and against everything it links too and it blesses
each file with no memory leaks.

There are approximately on average 100 apache processes running at any given point in
time each taking up between 4MB and 9MB of ram.

Approximately 2 weeks ago we started having problems with the machines running out of
ram. Before apache starts the first time there is about 800MB of physical ram free.
After around 10 minutes of running we are down to about 4MB of physical ram free and
it starts hitting swap space. We shut down apache and that frees up around 400MB of
ram. Now there is only 400MB of free ram and then we restart apache. Now we are having
to restart apache every 10 minutes to keep apache serving requests.

Any suggestions?