tc lewis wrote:

> check out /etc/sysctl.conf
> there's probably a line in there like:
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
> change it to:
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
> that should take care of it for you as long as redhat's
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit file is still in place (rc.sysinit is run at boot --
> inside that file, "sysctl -e -p /etc/sysctl.conf" is run...).
>
> -tcl.
>
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Art Ross wrote:
>
> > I've transfered my home network router from one RH6.2 box to a new RH6.2
> > box.  The new box is just the canned RedHat Server installation.  I've
> > managed to get the two interfaces working (eth0 and a modem) and
> > ipchains up.  There is a variable that must be set to the value of '1'
> > to forward ip requests through this box.  It is
> > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward.  This can be done manually by using the
> > command; echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward.  My problem is this.
> > The value will not stay at '1' after a reboot or restart.  Right now, I
> > use ssh to remotely correct this problem everytime the system restarts
> > but this is getting old.
> >
> > Thinking that I simply needed to set 'FORWARD_IPV4' in the
> > /etc/sysconfig/network file to 'yes'.  I tried this but it didn't
> > correct the problem.
> >
> > What am I overlooking?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >   Art

TC,
  Thanks your answer worked just fine.  Do you happen to know why that wasn't
getting set by 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'?  What RedHat utility
sets this variable?  I'm fine with editing the file but the question will
come up in one of my classes in the next quarter.
  Thanks and Merry Christmas,
  Art