On Mon, 24 Dec 2001 02:23:15 -0500
Brian Ashe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dear Bryan,

Merry Christmas, and thank you for pushing me to experiment with
netstat (and thus reading the netstat man page). It was at least
educational. Unfortunately, my problem is still not solved, though
I'm learning some interesting things about my computer.

> Just some ideas...
>
> What do you get from a "netstat -a" (sans quotes)?
>
> You should get a line that shows...
> tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN

I get exactly what you have above. And with "netstat -l -n" I can see
that it's listening on port 22, which seems to be correct. My SuSE box
is also listening on port 22.

> or similar. This is (IMO) the only way to ensure that it is running
> (listening). If you don't have it listening or it is not listening on the
> correct port you will get the "connection refused" response.
>
> If that checks OK. Try doing a restart then checking the log files to see if
> anything anomalous comes up.
>
> Are you trying to log-in as root or as normal users? I don't remember if root
> is disabled by default or not.
>
> > Just today I switched from RH 7.1 to 7.2. I had high
> > expectations, but now disillusionment.
>
> When you say "switched" do you mean a fresh install or an upgrade? If an
> upgrade did you check to see if it munged your old old sshd_config file? Did
> it back it up with an .rpmsave? This may keep it from working.

No, it was a clean install.

> You may also want to post up your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to let us go over
> it for errors.

Will do. Here it is below:

#       $OpenBSD: ssh_config,v 1.10 2001/04/03 21:19:38 todd Exp $

# This is ssh client systemwide configuration file.  See ssh(1) for more
# information.  This file provides defaults for users, and the values can
# be changed in per-user configuration files or on the command line.

# Configuration data is parsed as follows:
#  1. command line options
#  2. user-specific file
#  3. system-wide file
# Any configuration value is only changed the first time it is set.
# Thus, host-specific definitions should be at the beginning of the
# configuration file, and defaults at the end.

# Site-wide defaults for various options

# Host *
#   ForwardAgent no
#   ForwardX11 no
#   RhostsAuthentication no