Hi Ed,

Merry X'mas

As recommended I browsed following site prior to placing a purchasing order
for RAID card :

http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/doc/169770.html   and
http://www.promise.com/Products/Default.htm

I am a little bid lost.   Promise ULTRA100 TX2 ATA/100 PCI offered
by  "mwave.com"  at USD28.00 is an ATA-100 controller card, not a true RAID
card.

Promise FastTrak100 TX4 (with 4 channels) and Promise FastTrak100 TX2 (with
2 channels) are true hardware RAID card for RAID 0, 1 and 0+1.

My understanding from your advice, if correct, is with the application of
Linux software RAID, ULTRA100 TX2 ATA/100 PCI can achieve equivalent
performance of a Hardware RAID card, the Promise FastTrak100 TX2 (with 2
channels).  The price of ULTRA100 TX2 ATA/100 PCI is quite interesting.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong with thanks

B.R.
Stephen